Hotels taking into consideration the environmental aspects with reference to areas related to services provided to the guests, management of the hotel and eating facilities provided are known as Green Hotels.
Essentials of a Green Hotel:
The following areas are to be looked on when considering a green hotel:
- Energy Management with regard to efficiency of the building and measures taken for conservation.
- Preparation of food: A green hotel provides the guests with options of vegetarian and organic food.
Other than the above mentioned areas, another area is Waste Management which should include 3R's namely: Reduction, Reuse and Recycling.
Managing the Green Hotel:
Saving planet Earth and making it a better place to live is what the hospitality industry focuses on today. This is being done by using and implementing new technologies in such a way so that the creations of today regenerate themselves.
Great ideas are required so that inspiring theories can be implemented in hotels and other places without harming nature/ natural beauty.
Some ideas which can make the place better are:
o Use of water- based paints
o Nailed down carpeting, etc.
Building a hotel and operating and management of a green hotel are two different things. Skills are required for proper management of a green hotel. Various factors to be considered while managing a green hotel are:
- Basic amenities in all areas,
- Products used for cleaning in the hotel,
- Preparation of food for the restaurant,
- How to use the left over food,
- Maintaining the hotel without chemicals,
- Recycling is also a consideration, especially with water. Various techniques like Grey water recycling can be implemented,
- How to use other sources of energy in place of electricity, like: using the energy of sun for heating etc.
- Training the staff so that they are enthusiastic and have knowledge when speaking to the guests.
Why to Go Green?
To make the hotel "A Green Home away from home" for the guests, it is necessary to Go Green!
Going Green goes directly to the bottom line that will help your property to have a long-term value.
Going Green will also help you to cater the attention of guests and make them visit your hotel again and again.
Going Green helps you to keep a long-term relationship with your staff since you care about their health and well-being.
Benefits of Going Green:
o Reduction in energy bills: when energy saving measures like use of fluorescent bulbs, sensors for rest rooms and meeting areas, there is a reduction in energy bills.
o Reduction in water bills: Introduction of water saving equipments like low-flow showerheads etc. help to reduce water bills.
o Healthier guests, staff and management: Going Green guarantees that there is a healthy environment in the hotel.
Thus, for sustaining longer in the hospitality industry it is necessary to implement the concept of Green Hotels and also Green Hotel Management. Exemplifying the highest standards of environmental and social responsibility in all areas of operation and employing policies and programs that set international standards for sustainability is what Green Hotel Management is all about.